Pumpkins haven’t replaced peaches at the farmer’s market just yet so I’m gonna keep steppin’ with summer. Cool? Ok! With that said I think these little rolls would make the perfect back-to-school lunch – super portable, tasty fuel on the go, kinda like a go-gurt but waaaay better. I discovered a new item at Trader Joe’s last week, an amazing green dragon hot sauce – pretty much an instant obsession for me.
The ingredients are very similar to this delicious green sauce I made a while back so if you don’t have a TJ’s near you mix up a batch this good stuff.
It’s worth the fuss, I promise. I marinated the tofu in this sauce, plus added coconut milk, garlic, ginger and a little lime juice. It’s hard to imagine eating tofu any other way right now, so good. Once the ingredients are all prepped the rolling is always surprisingly quick and easy. I took this whole batch to work with me and munched on them for a few days. They’re one of my favorite packed lunches for sure.
Ingredients for the Spicy Green Tofu
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce (or make this funky green one!)
- 2 tablespoons of tamari
- juice of half a lime
- an inch of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
Drain and dry the tofu well. I wrapped mine in a clean kitchen towel overnight to get it really dried out. Slice into strips as shown. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together. Let the tofu soak this up as you prep the veggies (about 30 minutes). Place tofu strips (and additional soaking marinade juices) in a hot pan. The juices will begin to evaporate and the tofu will start to brown slightly and become super fragrant. Remove from pan, place in a bowl and cover with another generous helping of spicy green sauce (optional but recommend).
Ingredients for the Peanut Coconut Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons spicy green sauce
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- coconut milk to achieve desired consistency
Mix it all up and start dipping!
- Ingredients for the Roll Assembly
- Spring roll rice papers (about 10)
- about 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, small leaves work best, cut the larger ones in half
- carrots, cut into matchsticks or julienned
- about 1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 peach, sliced
- green onions, thinly sliced
- cilantro and mint leaves
Soak rice papers in filtered water until flexible and noodle-like. Roll as shown above. Easy!
When my sister was in undergrad she traveled to Italy for a semester to “study” abroad. (L…